The Balance Beam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Balance Beam

A discussion board devoted to old school gymnastics!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Changes to the Code of Points

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
spezi3
Former Gymnast/Fan

Kudos : 2

Changes to the Code of Points Vide
PostSubject: Changes to the Code of Points   Changes to the Code of Points Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 4:13 am

This has been done before on IG...The reason that most of us prefer old school gymnastics over modern gymnastics is the artistry/originality. Gymnasts back in the 1970s through 1990s had routines that were specifically tailored for them instead of ones that were designed to promote difficult skills over execution. If you were to replace Bruno Grandi, what changes would you make to the current Code of Points to promote old-fashioned artistry and originality? Killing Bruno Grandi isn't a valid answer, though most of us would like to do to him what he has done to our beloved sport. Smile

I'll start the thread with some suggestions:

1. Bring back compulsories. Good form went downhill with the demise of compulsories. Compulsories stressed perfect form on basic skills, which translated to perfect form on more difficult optional skills. It was no coincidence that the gymnasts with the best compulsories were also the ones with the best optional routines.

2. Bring back the old ROV bonus. For the younger members, ROV stands for Risk, Originality, Virtuosity. Under the old 10.0 system, gymnasts started with a base score (9.4. which was later lowered to 9.0) and got ROV bonus for original moves or original combinations of old moves, difficulty, and execution. With an open-ended scoring system, there could be up to a 1.0 point ROV bonus.

3. Require equal use of both bars and give a bonus for an original mount or dismount. I personally prefer the old routines where the bars were closer together because gymnasts used both bars fairly equally and had a variety of unique transitions between the bars.

4. Give a major deduction for floor music that is just background music. One of the things that I miss on floor is little moves or leaps that are choreographed to the music. Also require a change of pace in floor music. There is supposed to be a deduction for lack of artistry in the current Code, but the judges don't seem to take it.
Back to top Go down
thepianist
Administrator
Administrator
thepianist

Kudos : 5

PostSubject: Re: Changes to the Code of Points   Changes to the Code of Points Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 pm

I especially agree with #4. I sorely miss good choreo with the music.

BTW, I'm going to move this up to the COP subforum. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://thebb.aforumfree.com
thepianist
Administrator
Administrator
thepianist

PostSubject: Re: Changes to the Code of Points   Changes to the Code of Points Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Additionally, I'm not all that familiar with the COP. Sad
Back to top Go down
thepianist
Administrator
Administrator
thepianist

PostSubject: Re: Changes to the Code of Points   Changes to the Code of Points Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Compulsories. This is where I'm quite ignorant. Embarassed So, I know they existed; but in technical terms, what exactly makes them up skills wise?

Thanks for helping a COP-ignorant gym fan. Smile
Back to top Go down
MrYang
Regular Poster
Regular Poster
MrYang

Kudos : 1

PostSubject: Re: Changes to the Code of Points   Changes to the Code of Points Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 2:47 am

spezi3 wrote:
1. Bring back compulsories. Good form went downhill with the demise of compulsories.

3. Require equal use of both bars and give a bonus for an original mount or dismount.

4. Give a major deduction for floor music that is just background music.

Unsurprisingly I agree with all your points, but I don't think those three would work if they apply.
IMO as long as there is not a cap for difficulty there would always be skill chuckers.

1. I see kips in all UB routines now and some of them are not very good. I don't think how performing them in a compulsory routine would improve an skill that they are ALREADY performing systematically. IMO it has to be more with the judging system than with the skills itself.

3. Probably if they demand equal use of both bars the girls would do the big releases and giants at the HB and do all the stalder work on the low bar. I guess routines would look even more cookie cuttered than now.

4. Again, as long as there's this so called "objective" code, people would always hesitate taking artistic deductions just because they are subjective. You can raise the deduction as high as you want, but if you don't change the philosophy of the code that won't work.

SO, bottomline, I think the only solution is to change the code deeply.

A. put a cap for difficulty and ask for a variety of skills: Some As, Bs, Cs, etc...
B. artistry and originality should be a BONUS and not a deduction.
C. Get rid of that so called "objectivity" regarding the code. Maybe the results won't be as fair as now (I doubt they are that fair now), but gymnastics would be beautiful again.
Back to top Go down
spezi3
Former Gymnast/Fan

Kudos : 2

PostSubject: Re: Changes to the Code of Points   Changes to the Code of Points Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 3:05 pm

MrYang wrote:

SO, bottomline, I think the only solution is to change the code deeply.

A. put a cap for difficulty and ask for a variety of skills: Some As, Bs, Cs, etc...
B. artistry and originality should be a BONUS and not a deduction.
C. Get rid of that so called "objectivity" regarding the code. Maybe the results won't be as fair as now (I doubt they are that fair now), but gymnastics would be beautiful again.

I like your suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't see them working with an open-ended Code, especially a difficulty cap. I could see a difficulty cap working at a junior level, but not with the seniors with the current Code. When I was competing, back in the caveman days, there were requirements for a certain number of A, B, C, etc. skills for that particular level in optional routines starting with Class 2. Gymnasts don't do pretty A and B level skills anymore because they're worth less for the D score. To encourage the use of beautiful skills that are simpler, a bonus similar to the old ROV bonus could be added to the D score. Some of my favorite skills and combinations are not done anymore because they lower a gymnast's D score.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes to the Code of Points   Changes to the Code of Points Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changes to the Code of Points

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Balance Beam :: Artistic Gymnastics :: Women's Artistic Gymnastics :: Code of Points (COP)-